Monday, October 31, 2011

Focaccia Bread

I don't know about you, but I love the smell of bread baking in the oven.  Even more than that, I love the taste of hot fresh bread straight from the oven.  Top it with a little butter or homemade strawberry jam. . .aaaahhhh, just for a moment I am in my own little heaven. 

I am also a huge fan of the bread served hot at Macaroni Grill.  I actually have to limit myself on my intake of bread because I could just eat that and then be too full for my actual meal. . .you know we all do it! 

Today I wanted to share my Focaccia recipe.  I divide the dough in half and then put it in baskets on the dinner table to let my family rip off a good size piece to dip into their lasagna or spaghetti.  Don't let the convenience of store bought bread deter you from making your own; homemade bread can't be beat on price and taste!

Here's what you will need:
1 c. warm water
1 T. sugar
1 T. yeast
  2 1/2 cups flour
1 T. rosemary
1 t. Italian seasoning
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. onion powder
1 t. olive oil plus another 1 t. for the top
kosher salt
a bit of freshly cracked pepper

In a bowl mix warm water (warm to the touch but not too hot), sugar, and yeast.  Mix and set aside for 10 minutes.


In a bread mixer combine flour, rosemary, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder.



Slowly add the bubbley yeast mixture and begin to mix in bread mixer.

While mixing, carefully add 1 t. of olive oil into the dough mixture.










Divide the bread into two equal parts and shape into a ball.




Spread 1/2 t. olive oil per loaf and spread it around evenly with a brush. 













Sprinkle kosher salt and pepper on top of the bread and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour.

Heat oven to 375 degrees and cook loaves for 15-18 minutes until bread is golden brown on top.  Serve immediatly if you can!  I usually have a hard time getting two loves on the table. . .one is usually being devoured before it even hits the table.
Happy baking!
Paige

1 comment:

  1. I did not know that you girls were so full of culinary genius. Good for you. This bread looks wonderful but the word yeast often scares me.

    ReplyDelete