Monday, October 24, 2011

Lasagna

There are a few go-to recipes I have on hand; one of them is lasagna.  Whenever there is a family in need of a hot meal, or a friend in a bind, I find that I simply can't go wrong with lasagna.  I have been making lasagna since my college days; it seemed to impress many dates.  Throughout the years my taste buds have evolved and my lasagna recipe has been perfected.  The mixture of creamy warm cheeses mixed with peppers, sausage, and tomatoes can't be beat.  It is not only easy to make, but a perfect freezer meal.  I often double the batch and put the extra pan in my freezer to save for a rainy day.


Here is what you will need:

The Cheese Mixture
2 cups shredded mozerella cheese
1 cup cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
1 cup fresh parmesean cheese
1 egg
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
a dash of pepper

Meat Mixture
1 1/2 lbs hamburger or sausage (I usually do a mix with half hamburger and half sausage)
1/2 green pepper diced
1 small onion diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 can tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste

6 lasagna noodles (cooked for about 6 min)

Start by filling a pot of water and adding a few tablespoons of salt.  Someone once told me that the water you cook your noodles in should be as saltly as the ocean.  It not only keeps your noodles from sticking together, but it gives it a bit of a flavor boost.  Set the pot of water on the stove and let it come to a boil.

While you are waiting for the water to come to a boil, begin browning your meat; stir occasionally.  While the meat is cooking, begin chopping all of your vegetables.  You can certainly add more vegetables, but my picky eaters don't seem to be bothered by the onions, garlic, and pepper, so I haven't ventured much further into my garden for this recipe yet.  Maybe one day.  Once the meat is brown, stir in your vegetables and cook until all are tender.


I could seriously drink this as if it were a delicious pot of chili without the beans.  It is that good!



In the mean time your water should be boiling by now, so add 6-8 lasagna noodles.  I usually cook 8 noodles because one is bound to get broken.





This is where multi-tasking comes in handy. . .while your noodles are boiling, and your meat mixture is simmering, begin making your cheese mixture.

Begin by using a large mixing bowl.  First crack one egg and mix it up.  Next add 1 3/4 cups of mozerrella (saving1/4 cup for later),  1 cup cottage or ricotta cheese, and 1 cup parmesean cheese.  Stir all three cheeses into your egg mixture.  Next add Italian seasoning, salt, and a little dash of pepper.  Stir it all together and set aside. 


Next, add one 6 oz can of tomato paste and a jar of spaghetti sauce to the meat mixture and stir it all together. 

Drain your noodles.


Now comes the fun part.  Take a large baking dish and spray it with non-stick cooking spray.  To keep the noodles from sticking, I always put 1/4 cup sauce in the bottom of cooking dish and spread it around. 


Now it is time for some layering.  I start with three lasagna noodles side by side.


Next comes half of the meat mixture, and finally half of the cheese mixture.  Layer one more time using the rest of your ingredients.  Just to give it a little extra cheesy-ness (if that is even a word) I sprinkle the rest of the mozerella cheese that I reserved when I was making my cheese mixture on top.  Cover with aluminum foil and either bake, freeze, or put it in the refridgerator until you get home after a long day of work or being an amazing mother!

Cook at 350 degrees for 50 minutes covered, and then another 15-20 minutes uncovered, to get the cheese nice and bubbly.  I promise you will have a drooling husband and/or children.  Once it is taken out of the oven I let it sit for 10 minutes so that everything sets up. . .otherwise it tends to be a soupy mess when trying to cut and serve.  

Enjoy!

Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment