Sunday, January 29, 2012

French Dip (Southern Style) in the Slow Cooker

The world became a better place the day the slow cooker was invented.  There is nothing better than coming home from a hard day's work to a warm aroma of food ready for the partaking!   I have used the crock-pot for years but have found it the most rewarding these past two years when I went back to work.  When I was a stay-at-home mom, busy with babies and toddlers, my time was limited.  The ten minutes it took to get things mixed in the slow cooker were about all I had.  Now, as I am dashing out the door, getting kids on the bus, and getting myself off to work I find that if I don't get food in the slow cooker we end up eating fast food or canned soup. I have also found that when I am on a budget the slow cooker is easier on the wallet too.


This weekend I made these French Dip sandwiches.  My neighbor across the street came over just to ask me what I was making.  She said she could smell it across the street!  It is really quite easy and totally worth it.  I suggest you give your meat 8 hours on high to get it as tender as you want it.  It needs to practically shred itself!  The only reason I say this is "southern style" is because I do add a little bit of BBQ sauce too it.  I know it is different, but you will thank me!

Here is what you need:
2-4 lb roast
32 oz beef broth
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 T kosher salt
1 t. Pepper
3 t. Italian seasoning
1 onion cut in rings
1 T oil (to sear meat only)
1 T Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
Ciabatta rolls or hard crusted rolls
Favorite cheese: pepper jack or Swiss are my favorite


Directions:
Mix kosher salt and pepper in a bowl. Take the salt mixture in your hands and rub it evenly all over the meat.  Pretend you are giving the meat a massage and really work the salt mixture in.  If you don't use all of the salt that is fine.  Just make sure the roast is evenly worked through.

Heat 1 T. oil in a pan on medium high heat.  When oil is hot, sear roast.  I sear on each side for 1-2 minutes, locking in all the juices.  You are not trying to cook the meat through...just searing it. 

While the roast is searing on the stove, add to your slow cooker: beef broth, crushed garlic, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and BBQ sauce.  Stir together.  Add roast.  Slice onion in fairly thick rings as they will get smaller during the 8 hours of cooking.  Cover the slow cooker, turn it to high and leave it alone for 8-12 hours.  When it is tender shred the roast; it should practically fall apart.

Use good hard rolls.  I use ciabatta bread, but anything with a hard crust is good.  Cut the rolls in half.  Place them under your broiler for 1-2 minutes until the bun is lightly brown and toasted.  Place meat and cheese on bottom slice of roll and place in broiler open faced for 1 more minute to melt the cheese.


Serve with the extra juice in a bowl for dipping.  Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment